Monday, May 25, 2009


This young man was my dad. His name was Alva William Deos. He was in the Navy, fought in WWII, raised a family of proud Americans, Worked, hard, in a sawmill most of his adult life, lived through the Depression, knew how to have a good time. He died in 1984, August 11th.

You never think about your parents dying, not when you're just starting your own life. When my father walked me down the isle on my wedding day, he had tears in his eyes. I'd never seen my father cry before or after. They are suppose to be there, always, our parents. It was an impossible day the day he died. It wasn't suppose to happen, not ever.

Today is Memorial day and I wanted to remember this great man. I miss him so much, just remembering him here, now, brings tears to my eyes.

Here's to all the veteran of all the wars that have gone before. These are scary days when our leader should be supporting our troops. When parents should remember to teach their children to stand and put their hands over their hearts when they see a flag in a parade.

In case you can't read the caption on this picture, is says, "The only man standing, is the man in the wheelchair." It makes you want to cry, doesn't it? It should.

The man in the wheelchair, like my father and all veteran who fought and won the freedom that allows those around them to disrespect the flag, should be honored. That's freedom, let it ring.





Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elizabeth. You have an award waiting for you to pick up on my blog. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

 
crafty wantabe interested in learning and trying new crafts of all kind as long as they are fun.